Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Journal pages

 


When I have too many distractions around me, I need to pull away andjust spend a little bit of time with my journal. These are pages from my journal that I have been prepping for writing. I don't do much of an art journal like those you see in themagazines but I keep two going...one for journaling my personal thoughts and feelings and one that has thoughts and ideas about art. Usually I just put down a color wash but during the New Year's weekend we were up at our small cabin with my husband, daughter, her husband, two grandsons full of energy, my son and his fiance...it got a little crowded. I was happy to be with them but I spend a lot of time by myself and I just needed to pull away for little bits of time.

So upstairs I went with my journal, small travel box of watercolors and the travel brush which is really fairly small. Not good for color washes which was good because I found myself just drifting off with the colors and using lines a lot more than usual. I had a great time...there is no right or wrong when doing this as it is all background for something else and thusly I can experiment and try new things. So I thought I would share them with you:














Most of these are facing pages but the left hand one on the third row is actually a right hand page without its opposite page...this was done while I was listening to Ravel....on my headphones so I had my own noise. It's doing little things like this that keep my going....just playing with the color, with the lines, with the washes, just enjoying the movement of my hand.....

7 comments:

Rayna said...

Liz-- it is good to hear your voice. Life has gotten crazy here on many levels; now i am in Fla with no
Internet in the house just iphone, which is not conducive to regular blogging, either.

Watercolor sketches good idea. I should try it when I get home. Meantime, I am therapy sewing.

Sending a hug.

Anonymous said...

You've just given me the inspiration I need to get back to work. Thanks. And I like your studies.

Anonymous said...

Liz, these are gorgeous! Glad you doing these studies......

Rosemary@semo.net said...

Hi Liz, I enjoyed reading several of your recent blogs, and looking at your work. I do like the organic quality of your lines, and the shapes they make. I, too, am a person who needs a lot of alone time, and quiet in which I can create. Music is OK, as long as it's a kind I enjoy, but lot's of conversation and activity pull me out of my creative space. I enjoy being around people, but it is a real push/pull for me in having my quiet time. I'm happy you are back creating.

Linda Cline said...

I can completely understand your need to escape to solitude. A houseful of people is tiring if your used to living more quietly.

I love your journal pages. Plain washes are nice, but these are much more interesting. Each one is a little composition all by itself.

Thanks for sharing them.

janettestitches said...

As another visitor said, "you have inspired me with these watercolours I have a set but have never used them up till now that is. Thank you.
Janette

Michele said...

I love the first one best. It is very much like something Georgia O'Keefe would have done. It's lovely.