Monday, March 23, 2009

In Florida

Well, here I am in Florida. I left home at 4:30 am on Friday and arrived at the Atlantic Center for the Arts in New Smyrna Beach, Florida Friday early evening. After I got settle in in my little room I went out for dinner and had great scallops and shrimp and then headed back to sleep. On Saturaday I got myself located, met up with someone new, Patrica, went out to breakfast at Mom's and spent the remainder of the day in Valerie Goodwin's class on map making. What a fascinating thing to do and it has put in perspective for me my love of maps which comes from traveling all around and using maps to get around. I didn't bring the supplies necessary to make one during the class but took in all the information.. All of us who were here on Saturday went over for a wonderful dinner at Peggy's house.

On Sunday I did a full day of teaching to twenty students the one day rush class on design. So far we don't have enough students signed up for the color class for next Sunday, if we get more sign ups then we will have the class. I do hope so as it is a good class.

People have been arriving during the weekend. Pamela Allen and Rosemary Claus-Gray have arrived as well as Jacque Davis who is helping to provide some supplies for me to work with my dyeing.

Finally we were able to get set up in the studio and I went right to work. I have gotten ten pieces dye painted and tomorrow I will wash them out to see if I used enough dye to make it worth my while. I have silk screens and will be screening, etc. The nice thing about dyeing is that if it doesn't come out right the first time I can do it again.

We are in a fascinating area. I haven't had much time to go looking around...Saturday I had to make a quick trip to Wal Mart and the grocercy store as no meals were being served over the weekend. I have had a nice time getting together with various people to go out for dinner and am making sure I get seafood every night,

Tonight Chef Sue was here and fixed a delicious dinner for us...that is, after the oven caught fire!

The server has been down here so I haven't been able to get on the internet. Will start taking pictures tomorrow. The "woods" here are very different...palmetto trees, scrub oak and some sort of pine tree. What a combination! I can sit at my desk in my room and look right outside at the woods and watch the lizards running around. They flash their necks as it is mating season, jump from branch to branch and chase each other around. Some are a beautiful green and some are grey...sorry, don't know what kind they are.

So, I promise some pictures tomorrow!

2 comments:

Deb Lacativa said...

Ask Mary about the Armadillos and "why are the walkways raised up three feet?".

I'm so jealous - most of my best work came from my weeks at ACA.

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Thanks for the post Liz.
I will be with everyone in spirit even though I'm not really there.
Last year I quilted 7 of my show quilts while I was there - one a day. For me a wonderful venue to be creative. I'm sure the same will hold true for you.
K