Saturday, June 04, 2005

Just keep on working...it's never all done

I mentioned in Gabrielle's blog that I thought it was important to keep on working whether you feel like it or not. I am in the studio on a daily basis. This does not mean, however, that I am producing new work all the time. There are always a multitude of chores that go with being a professional studio artist.

Each new piece has to have binding, label and sleeve put on.
Each new piece needs to be cataloged, including size, photo and pertinent information.
Each new piece goes to the photographer for slides
The slides then go to the lab for duplication.
The slides get filed in their respective folders.
Determine price for each piece.
Peruse all the sources for calls for entry, download and file in monthly file folders.
Review all monthly calls and determine what is appropriate for which work.
Decide on work to enter in various shows.
Pull slides for the show.
Fill out entry form, self-addressed stamped envelope, slides in covers, check and protector for envelop. Check weight on envelope for correct postage.
Review rejections and acceptances as they come in.
File as appropriate.
Get work ready to ship off for shows. rolling, bagging, plastic bagging, cutting box to size
Go to UPS.com and fill out shipping label, print and attach to package which has been weighed and measured.
Drop ready box off at UPS store for shipping.
Track UPS for arrival.
Clean studio.
Fold fabric and put away
dye fabric
wash fabric
iron fabric
review art magazines for current happenings in the art world and keep up with what is going on where
review quilt/fiber/craft magazines for same
keep up sketch book of ideas.
keep up with pictures of inspirational work and get it cut out and into their book
Check art supplies and order as necessary
Order fabric, batting, dyes, yarns, threads, whatever.
Fuse fabrics so they will be ready to use
clean up paint supplies
clean up dyeing supplies
clean sewing machine
Contemplate the color of the sky
Go on an artist date
Discuss art with other artists
Try to sleep with ideas going through my head
problem solving the latest piece of work
depositing money to account when work does sell (yeah, right)
keeping financial records of business
sending out brochures to guilds, etc
presenting at guilds, etc
teaching workshops
soliciting teaching opportunities
filing tons of paper
keep up with internet groups and information
share information with others
fill out grant requests
meet with mentor
meet with other art quilters

Oh yeah, and play with fabric and make little things that are just for fun and don't take a lot of commitment!
And then, make a masterpiece or two!

Two of my new pieces just need the biding sewn down and then I can post them tomorrow!

7 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Brilliant. I must print this list out so I can test myself on whether I want to be a professional artist or not. (The jury is still out...)

gabrielle said...

Hey Liz, your description of the life of a contemporary quiltmaker is perfect. No matter how rhe day starts in always includes necessary and imortant distractions.....and some days the list never ends.

Sonji Hunt said...

Hmmm. I think that I may actually be too lazy for all this. It's a good thing that I got a part time job.

Lisa said...

WoW! You actually DO all this stuff?! Now I know why I only dabble...

PaMdora said...

The list is incredible! I know I do all this stuff (except the teaching workshops part which sounds like a whole other full-time job) but just reading it all made me tired!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Yikes, what a list, no wonder it is so hard to keep on doing this exhibiting, there really is a lot of detail to pay attention to!

Karoda said...

Okay, I just want to sell one piece for a gazillion bucks and hire an assistant to do all the administrative stuff you've listed.