Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Is Anybody Out There?

I know exactly how Teri felt...feed back is really important. I guess I do this blog for a couple of reasons...one is to journal what I am doing in a way that is much faster than working in my art journal (which I still do) but then I also put stuff out there for feedback. This is especially important with my work since I am in my studio by myself and only get together with other art quilters once a week. Sometimes I need encouragement also. Not just, "Hey, Liz, that's really great" but something about the way the color works or what the perceived message is or something...I guess all this rain has me down today.Oh, well, off to quilt my two little monoprint pieces and then to start collecting the photos and scanning them for my Mama quilt. This one will be so different from the first one.Did get my website updated. Finially...my daughter came in and did it two days in a row...the biggest problem is getting names straight with the pieces since I have to put stickies on them so I don't forget what name I have come up with before I get the label on. And then I changed the names on three of them so that was even more confusing. She wants to just come in and enter the stuff so I tried really hard to get it all together before she got here. Oh well, I can't believe how much my thought processes have changed since I retired and do art all the time! I think, maybe, alot of how I am feeling today is directly related to having spent almost two days scnning slides, correcting data, and doing that kind of work...not fun in my book!

5 comments:

Karoda said...

Hi Liz, I don't really feel qualified to offer a "critique" of anyone's work beyond my personal emotional reaction to a piece...but something I learned from writing critique groups is that its helpful to know specifically what the creator of a work wants feedback on vs. a generalized "what do you think?"

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz. I ditto Carol. I am all by myself. Trying to get a group started. There are 3 of us so far. We tried with the Great Lakes Fiber Arts but we are so spread out!

Anyway, I am interested in those mono prints. Are they gelatin prints??? I posted to QA about the books I just bought. Monoprinting is on my list of new things to try along with encaustic and the air pen I bought LAST YEAR from Deb Harowitz....yikes.....I sure will be glad when I have my studio built so I can have the experience of getting dressed and walking out the front door of the house and INTO an actual studio. Working in the house just makes it too easy to find other things to do. I need the separation.

teri...off today for a colonoscopy- oh goody!!

Peg Keeney said...

I totally agree about being isolated...most of the time Iam too...thinking about starting a critique group with other fiber artists in the area
your mono prints are wonderful...i amd working with some too.... and doing some rubbings with dye and overdye..should go down and take a quick photo of them
anyway keep up the fiber spirit
Peg

Jen said...

Hi Liz,
You struck a real chord with me about art and spirituality....
Is there something specific you want to talk about in regard to a certain piece?

I have only been blogging for a little while, but I do appreciate the inspiration and occasional comment. I have a wonderful group of quilting friends, but I am the oddball amongst them since they are mostly traditional quilters.
You are so lucky to be a full time artist..Someday when I retire...
Keep on posting about your work. We are looking and listening. Jen

Jen said...

Hi Liz,
You struck a real chord with me about art and spirituality....
Is there something specific you want to talk about in regard to a certain piece?

I have only been blogging for a little while, but I do appreciate the inspiration and occasional comment. I have a wonderful group of quilting friends, but I am the oddball amongst them since they are mostly traditional quilters.
You are so lucky to be a full time artist..Someday when I retire...
Keep on posting about your work. We are looking and listening. Jen